• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please, I need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinytear1964

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My sister has been living with this guy, they built a new $205,000 home. My sister borrowed the money to build the home which included the money to buy the land that it is on. My sister's name appears on the loan, but not the deed to the home or the land. We are confused as to what her rights are to this issue as things are not working out in the relationship and she is being told that she has to move out of the home. Some how the guy she has been involved with has his name on the land and the deed to the home, but NOT the loan. Hopefully I have given enough information to get a reply. If further information is needed, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] . Thank you so much in advance!
undefined

seniorjudge

Your sister needs a good real estate attorney and soon.

She may have some equitable interest in the land because of the dough she put up. She does not have legal interest in the land because her name is not on the deed to the land; but because she has put up money for the land, she may have what is called an "equitable" interest...meaning it wouldn't be right to screw her out of part of the land.

She needs to file a partition suit: the land will be sold at the courthouse steps and she and her friend will split the proceeds however the court decides.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">