• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

40 hour work week???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsarvak

i live in albany, new york.

my employer has me do diffrent things on diffrent days, i am kind of an office gopher. (go-fer this go-fer that... get it??) anyway, he may ask me to do a task or multiple tasks that cause me to work more than an 8 hour day in the begning of the week. so it is compleatley plausable that by thursday at 5pm i have already worked 40 hours. can he legally ask me to go home? cause he does all the time so he can get out of paying me time and a half. is he taking advantage of me???

Beth3

can he legally ask me to go home? Yes.

cause he does all the time so he can get out of paying me time and a half. Perfectly legal. No laws compel your employer to allow you to work more than 40 hours per week. Or to even work 40 hours per week at all for that matter.

is he taking advantage of me??? That's a matter of opinion. If you feel he is, you're free to find another job any time you like.

eerelations

What's there to complain about?

So, you're getting paid for a full workweek (i.e., 40 hours), AND you get a three-day weekend, all in the same week? This is great! What's your problem?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">