• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jovoaz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

I started with a small company in January of this year. I signed a 3 month contract and was told that at the end of the 3 month "probation" I would most likely be offered a 9 month contract to finish out the year. In April, I sat down with the boss and he said that he was concerned that we were not "meshing" as well as he had hoped. So instead of offering me the 9 month contract, he put me on another 3 month probation period. That was fine, but I never saw or signed any contract after that. I am now WAY past the end of the 2nd probation period. So I cornered the boss and asked how my performance has been. He said that he still is not sure how this is all working out and wanted to put me on another 3 month probation period and we would see where we are in October. That was 2 weeks ago and no contract to sign.

As part of the initial 3 month contract, if the availability of hours was to drop, I was guaranteed 30 hours per week at my normal pay. This part of the original contract has been kept. There have been several weeks (about 3 months worth) where I have worked less than 30 hours, but have gotten 30 hours of pay. So I'm happy with that.

The problem is that the hours have yet to pick up and it is becoming harder and harder to make ends meet. I have been applying for other jobs in the area, but have yet to be offered one. So here is my question: If I were to be offered a job, and I put in my 2 weeks notice, am I breaking my "contract" that is supposed to be reviewed in October? I have not signed anything, therefore, I'm not actually bound, am I?

I would not be concerned, but the company has kept up their end of the bargin by paying me 30 hours per week, even though I have not signed anything with them since back in January. I just want to make sure that I'm not legally bound by any implied contract because the company has kept up the 30 hours per week.

Beth3

There is no contact in place. It expired after three months of employment (assuming there was a contract in the first place, which we haven't established.) I think your employer is acting in good faith by guaranteeing you 30 hours/week of pay which is very nice of them but there isn't anything in your post that indicates you can't walk away any time you wish to.

Besides, I don't think they'd mind if you did. They'd have signed you to a contract or agreement for the balance of the year if they were convinced you were the right person for the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">