• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought Trailor, Previous owner left stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hammer71

What is the name of your state? IL

I bought a Trailor over a year ago, Title was put in my name July 8, 2004.

I paid cash for the Trailor. Was no contract of any type. The previous owner left Personal Property in the shed. The Shed came with the Trailor. I never had a use for the Shed, until recently. Since I bought the Trailor "as is" and paid cash and there was no contract. Is the stuff in the Shed, mine? I've never been contacted by the Previous Owner regarding this Personal Property since I bought the Trailor.

I read about "Abandoned Personal Property" Law in regards to Landlord/Tennet Issues, but that isn't what this would fall under, would it?

I haven't found anything in regards to Illinois Law pertaining to an issue like this.

Any help?

HomeGuru

Hammer71 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I bought a Trailor over a year ago, Title was put in my name July 8, 2004.

I paid cash for the Trailor. Was no contract of any type. The previous owner left Personal Property in the shed. The Shed came with the Trailor. I never had a use for the Shed, until recently. Since I bought the Trailor "as is" and paid cash and there was no contract. Is the stuff in the Shed, mine? I've never been contacted by the Previous Owner regarding this Personal Property since I bought the Trailor.

I read about "Abandoned Personal Property" Law in regards to Landlord/Tennet Issues, but that isn't what this would fall under, would it?

I haven't found anything in regards to Illinois Law pertaining to an issue like this.

Any help?

**A: what stuff? Look again, there is no stuff.

Hammer71

??? What exactly are ya saying? Since they left it and never tried to claim it and I bought it "as is" with cash, that the Stuff in the Shed is mine?

HomeGuru

Hammer71 said:
??? What exactly are ya saying? Since they left it and never tried to claim it and I bought it "as is" with cash, that the Stuff in the Shed is mine?

**A: think about it.

Hammer71

Just called a few of the Local Real Estate Lawyers here in town, and am awaiting Call-Backs. Hopefully, they can confirm this.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

Hammer71 said:
Just called a few of the Local Real Estate Lawyers here in town, and am awaiting Call-Backs. Hopefully, they can confirm this.

Thanks!
**A: Ok, they should be able to confirm that you could think about it.

HomeGuru

panzertanker said:
Do you do curtains?

OP might need some curtains for the "trailor" to obscure views of "stuff" from the shed....

**A: yes, but those are special oda and we no responsible for wrong meazaments.

maryks

Do you own the land, or rent the land?

You have clear title to the trailer. The previous owner didn't remove stuff, and didn't contract to have you store it for him. He is not and has never had a rental agreement with you. The stuff is yours. Donate it, throw it away, or clean it up and use it. If there are legal documents (marriage licenses, birth certificates) then you might want to see what to do about those, otherwise don't worry.

Even a landlord will discard items after he's signed someone out of a rental agreement, which I would say you did when you got title.

panzertanker

maryks said:
Do you own the land, or rent the land?

You have clear title to the trailer. The previous owner didn't remove stuff, and didn't contract to have you store it for him. He is not and has never had a rental agreement with you. The stuff is yours. Donate it, throw it away, or clean it up and use it. If there are legal documents (marriage licenses, birth certificates) then you might want to see what to do about those, otherwise don't worry.

Even a landlord will discard items after he's signed someone out of a rental agreement, which I would say you did when you got title.
How come people cannot be vague, like us, when answering OP's questions?....

maryks, we were having fun letting the OP figure out the answer from the cryptic replies, and then you had to go and ruin it by answering straightforward.... darnit!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">