• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

extapa

What is the name of your state?texas.

I have lived on my late parents property for 11 yrs. Paid all property taxes including back taxes from 1988-1994. One year after I moved out here I told my two sisters I wanted to buy this place and started paying one of the sisters her portion. After her portion was paid in full they met with me and told me that portion I had paid was put towards another debt I had. They then said all the taxes I paid was for my rent. As far as I was concerned I was already in the process of buying this property and I've put thousands into this house repairing and making it livable. My dad's will was probated in 1988 so that's been done. Not one of my sisters ever helped with the back taxes or any taxes. They won't meet with me to discuss settling anything. One of them said they are waiting for the property to appreciate. Can I use the Texas 'adverse possession' law to get title to this place?

BelizeBreeze

extapa said:

I have lived on my late parents property for 11 yrs. Paid all property taxes including back taxes from 1988-1994. One year after I moved out here I told my two sisters I wanted to buy this place and started paying one of the sisters her portion. After her portion was paid in full they met with me and told me that portion I had paid was put towards another debt I had. They then said all the taxes I paid was for my rent. As far as I was concerned I was already in the process of buying this property and I've put thousands into this house repairing and making it livable. My dad's will was probated in 1988 so that's been done. Not one of my sisters ever helped with the back taxes or any taxes. They won't meet with me to discuss settling anything. One of them said they are waiting for the property to appreciate.
And without a contract to the contrary, that's exactly what you've been doing, being a tenant.
Can I use the Texas 'adverse possession' law to get title to this place?
Nope.

So, your only two options are to wait until the sisters think it's worth enough to sell or, File a partition lawsuit against the two sisters and have the court sell the property now or one of the sisters can buy you out.

HomeGuru

extapa said:

I have lived on my late parents property for 11 yrs. Paid all property taxes including back taxes from 1988-1994. One year after I moved out here I told my two sisters I wanted to buy this place and started paying one of the sisters her portion. After her portion was paid in full they met with me and told me that portion I had paid was put towards another debt I had. They then said all the taxes I paid was for my rent. As far as I was concerned I was already in the process of buying this property and I've put thousands into this house repairing and making it livable. My dad's will was probated in 1988 so that's been done. Not one of my sisters ever helped with the back taxes or any taxes. They won't meet with me to discuss settling anything. One of them said they are waiting for the property to appreciate. Can I use the Texas 'adverse possession' law to get title to this place?
**A: who has title to the property from 1988 to now, as directed by the probate court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">