• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a signed offer letter legally binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jetta#2

What is the name of your state? NC

I'm in a unique situation regarding a sign-on bonus, that was offered in lieu, of straight cobra coverage. The signed offer letter specificied only that $xx would be subjected to normal payroll taxes and would be payable after 30 days of continuous service. There was no mention nor any supplemental paperwork that was contrary to this or supported a firmer corporate policy.

Now after over 4 months on the job, my employer tells me that I must sign a 12-18 agreement to get the bonus. In fact that tell me that there was a page 2 to the offer letter, of which they never sent me (not once, but twice) which discusses this. If it sounds odd, you can only imagine what I think about it.

During the interview, negiotate, offer, counteroffer, and acceptance of the offer there was NO mention of this (albeit more common arrangement) to work for 12 months and then the rest is prorate up to 18months. My understanding was that the bonus, after taxes, was just about enough to cover cobra and didn't warrant a long term contract. The recruiter seemed to understand that clearly enough.

So the question is as follows: Is a signed offer letter legally binding as is or can additional conditions be added by the employer without the knowledge or consent of the employee?

Thanks.
:confused:

Jetta#2

Fair enough, but....

Fair enough, but since my monitor is black and white it doesn't transfer photostats very well...so, you'll have to take my word for it.

Anyway, back to the question at hand.

Is the signed offer letter legally binding, a contract of sorts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the very large majority of cases an offer letter is not a contract and is not legally binding.

However, only an attorney who has read the letter in its entirety can tell you for certain, since on very rare occasions the exact wording of the offer letter causes it to meet the definition of a contract.

If you believe the letter you received is actually a contract, you will have to show it to a local attorney. We can't "take your word for it" and make any kind of informed judgement. Just one of the limits of a message board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">