• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation/Severance Letter questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awol313

I have a severance package from my current employer effective begining next month. I feel that it is fair but it neglects to mention a non compete or responsibility for a corporate credit card. While I never signed a non compete, I want to make sure that this could not be an implied situation that could somehow null and void my severance or affect me at a later date. Also, in being a good employee, I went to fill out an expense report only to find every charge that I had made since the middle of July Disputed within that account.
Is there any way, if the card was in the Company's name with my name listed as an authorized user, that they can come after me if all charges were legtimate business charges?
Also, what are the rules on credit card points, frequent flier miles and any other reward programs.
This is my first true seperation/severance agreement.

I want to make sure that I do not get burned.

I will state that any unused airline tickets/rental cars/hotel rooms reserved through the Corporate travel agent revert back into the company account
is that sufficent enough to cover my bases?
Is it possible/ethical to negotiate the terms of this severance agreement?

My state is Florida, the corporate office is minnesota, virtual office environment

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

awol313 said:
I have a severance package from my current employer effective begining next month. I feel that it is fair but it neglects to mention a non compete or responsibility for a corporate credit card. While I never signed a non compete, I want to make sure that this could not be an implied situation that could somehow null and void my severance or affect me at a later date.
If you never signed one then none exists. But look deep into your employment contract or anything that you signed. If it's not in there (it doesn't have to be a separate document) then forget it.
Also, in being a good employee, I went to fill out an expense report only to find every charge that I had made since the middle of July Disputed within that account.
that's an internal issue, not a legal one.
Is there any way, if the card was in the Company's name with my name listed as an authorized user, that they can come after me if all charges were legtimate business charges?
This depends ENTIRELY on the user agreement and their claims on your use of the card.
Also, what are the rules on credit card points, frequent flier miles and any other reward programs.
They belong to the holder of the card, the company in your situation.
I will state that any unused airline tickets/rental cars/hotel rooms reserved through the Corporate travel agent revert back into the company account
is that sufficent enough to cover my bases?
seems to be.
Is it possible/ethical to negotiate the terms of this severance agreement?
It's done all the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">