• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescriptive Easements and Adverse Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asolich

In reference to Nevada. My neighborhood is occupied by 15 homesteads that were built in the 40s and 50s. A local city power line easment funs through those properties, but has not been used for power, and not existing power lines, for over 10 years. The homeowners of the adjacent easement properties have been using and treating the easements as their own for 45+ years. All appear to meet the hostile, actual, open and notorious, and exclusive and continuous use requirement for adverse possession, and for prescriptive easements, we have not paid taxes on such property. Several questions: 1) does prescriptive easement/adverse possession apply to public land (i.e. public land in our residential neighborhood) 2) and is it my understanding that if the City knows we are using the property, it is public knowledge, has not attempted to stop us from using it, made no effort to deed, lease, rent, etc., are we within rights to pursue an attorney and seek deeds to the properties?

HomeGuru

asolich said:
In reference to Nevada. My neighborhood is occupied by 15 homesteads that were built in the 40s and 50s. A local city power line easment funs through those properties, but has not been used for power, and not existing power lines, for over 10 years. The homeowners of the adjacent easement properties have been using and treating the easements as their own for 45+ years. All appear to meet the hostile, actual, open and notorious, and exclusive and continuous use requirement for adverse possession, and for prescriptive easements, we have not paid taxes on such property. Several questions: 1) does prescriptive easement/adverse possession apply to public land (i.e. public land in our residential neighborhood)

**A: no

2) and is it my understanding that if the City knows we are using the property, it is public knowledge, has not attempted to stop us from using it, made no effort to deed, lease, rent, etc., are we within rights to pursue an attorney and seek deeds to the properties?

**A: you have no claim whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">