• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend not on loan but wants to be on deed...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TwoKids

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA.

Hello:

I own a home and my girlfriend moved in. She currently is not on the loan. So, I hold all the risk. She wants to be on the title, because she is going to be paying me to live with me. This means she wants half.... and we aren't even married. She also says, "I won't get any tax breaks for paying you." I told her the tax break is for the loan that she is not on and holds no risk.

I have two kids from a previous marriage, if anything were to happen to me, I would want all my interest in the house to go to them. I feel like I would be forfeiting half of the equity to her and taking that away from the kids.

What do you think I should do?

TwoKids

HomeGuru

TwoKids said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA.

Hello:

I own a home and my girlfriend moved in. She currently is not on the loan. So, I hold all the risk. She wants to be on the title, because she is going to be paying me to live with me. This means she wants half.... and we aren't even married. She also says, "I won't get any tax breaks for paying you." I told her the tax break is for the loan that she is not on and holds no risk.

I have two kids from a previous marriage, if anything were to happen to me, I would want all my interest in the house to go to them. I feel like I would be forfeiting half of the equity to her and taking that away from the kids.

TwoKids

**A: simple- have her sign a rental agreement instead.

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

I agree with HomeGuru's advice but short of that, I think that you should run screaming from this woman or buy a big tub of Vaseline because she's about to do something awful to you. :eek:

Do a search on this site for "Action of Partition" and educate yourself. :D

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Warped said:
I'm not a lawyer!

I agree with HomeGuru's advice but short of that, I think that you should run screaming from this woman or buy a big tub of Vaseline because she's about to do something awful to you. :eek:

Do a search on this site for "Action of Partition" and educate yourself. :D

**A: I liked that response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">