• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting Question: re: Hurricane watch/Warning..Tropical Storms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TooHot!

What is the name of your state?FL

Well I am still stuck at this lousy job, https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=267646

My question is...

There is a Hurricane watch/warning.... for Tropical Storm Katrina , soon to be a Catagory 1 Hurricane when it meets our shore. (So the news informs us....)

My question is....I have been scheduled for Thursday (tomorrow) and for Friday. I told them that since a tropical storm/possible hurricane is pending, I have no childcare ( public schools are closed, as are all day care agencies) and I cannot work....nor do I want to. That my kids safety comes first.

They say If I don't.... I'm fired.

I remember Governor Bush say something last season ( If memory serves) about how an employee that was not required to work during an emergency ( unless you are...health care, or fema...etc) COULD NOT be fired because they refused to come to work. Especially in my job (minimum wage cashier at a convienence store).

Maybe my memory is faling....but can anyone advise me on this type of situation?

BelizeBreeze

You're talking about apples and oranges. You state there is a watch/warning so it has not yet risen to an emergency.

And yes, you can be without a job for not showing up.

TooHot!

Thanks for reply Belize..

I understand.....It is all about what the conditions are at the time of my "work hours"

Cause, if it is just a "watch"...and no severe weather is had in my area...Then it is not an issue.

However, if it is severe weather and "hurricane conditions" apply then it would be a different story?!(yes, this is a question....please forgive my ignorance)

And yes..... I understand that they can fire me for any reason ...it being an "at will" (or something like that) state.

Edit....Or I am a complete idiot....It just seems that if imenent weather is expected....Those (literally) in glass houses....shouldn't be there!

Last edited:

BlondiePB

TooHot! said:
Thanks for reply Belize..

I understand.....It is all about what the conditions are at the time of my "work hours"

Cause, if it is just a "watch"...and no severe weather is had in my area...Then it is not an issue.

However, if it is severe weather and "hurricane conditions" apply then it would be a different story?!(yes, this is a question....please forgive my ignorance)

And yes..... I understand that they can fire me for any reason ( unless it is a hurricane "warning")...it being an "at will" (or something like that) state.

Edit....Or I am a complete idiot....It just seems that if imenent weather is expected....Those (literally) in glass houses....shouldn't be there!
Warning is different than watch. The 11:00 p.m. update is expected to change from Tropical Storm Warning to Hurricane Watch. It will still be a watch. What county are you talking about here. If Broward, are you north or south of Ft. Lauderdale?

TooHot!

Warning is different than watch. The 11:00 p.m. update is expected to change from Tropical Storm Warning to Hurricane Watch. It will still be a watch. What county are you talking about here. If Broward, are you north or south of Ft. Lauderdale?
I am in Miami-Dade County. We are already and have been (most of the day) under a "Hurricane Watch" (and tropical storm warning) as it extends from Vero Beach to Florida City. Schools and all day-care agencies have cancelled service tomorrow and I am guessing Friday also.

My main concern is....That unless you are obligated to work during a situation such as a Hurricane....can you be fired from your job if you don't show?

Like....(not trying to be hard headed) If I woke up tomorrow..and if said we were on a hurricane warning...If I refused to show....can they fire me?

BlondiePB

TooHot! said:
I am in Miami-Dade County. We are already and have been (most of the day) under a "Hurricane Watch" (and tropical storm warning) as it extends from Vero Beach to Florida City. Schools and all day-care agencies have cancelled service tomorrow and I am guessing Friday also.

My main concern is....That unless you are obligated to work during a situation such as a Hurricane....can you be fired from your job if you don't show?

Like....(not trying to be hard headed) If I woke up tomorrow..and if said we were on a hurricane warning...If I refused to show....can they fire me?
Sorry, but I have not seen a Hurricane watch yet. I'm in a lot closer to where Katrina will make land and am expecting the brunt of all the rain. The center could even be directly at my door Friday. I do not and have not had a hurricane watch yet. It is expected at the 11:00 p.m. update.

If there is a hurricane warning it may be posted late tomorrow or tomorrow evening. Then, everything will close many hours before this arrives. This is common knowledge except for new residents. You still need to make plans for Friday for your children and for going to work. Those plans can be cancelled due to the weather.

TooHot!

Sorry, but I have not seen a Hurricane watch yet. I'm in a lot closer to where Katrina will make land and am expecting the brunt of all the rain. The center could even be directly at my door Friday. I do not and have not had a hurricane watch yet. It is expected at the 11:00 p.m. update.
WOW!...That is curious....And no disrespect ...but.... WSVN channel 7 news has updates every 30 minutes....If you didn't know previous that you were under a "Hurricane Watch"....Then now you know...

If you are still confused (no undertone intended) please watch your local cable "Weather Channel". They will also state that from Vero Beach down to Florida City is under a "Hurricane Watch" as well as a "Tropical storm Warning"

TooHot!

Blondie...I am in Miami.

That would be Delray Beach, Florida

Being if not hit...Then affected by Hurricanes 51 times.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

TooHot! said:
WOW!...That is curious....And no disrespect ...but.... WSVN channel 7 news has updates every 30 minutes....If you didn't know previous that you were under a "Hurricane Watch"....Then now you know...

If you are still confused (no undertone intended) please watch your local cable "Weather Channel". They will also state that from Vero Beach down to Florida City is under a "Hurricane Watch" as well as a "Tropical storm Warning"
My last local update was just as I stated. When it comes to a storm being this close, the "Weather Channel" stinks. I can get a Miami channel and maybe even WSVN and will check the next update for there and mine too.

TooHot!

BlondiePB said:
My last local update was just as I stated. When it comes to a storm being this close, the "Weather Channel" stinks.
I agree...but it still proves my point. They will still show the watches/warnings.

And if you are not even close enough to Dade or Broward counties to get an accurate account of the storm (via news or web)....Then by all means...come to your own conclusions.

I am there...I do have the local weather telling me whats up. I was here for Hurricane Andrew. By the way..It is the answer to the trivia question about "The most costly hurricane in Florida".

What thrills the hell out of me...Is that with all the school closures and preparation awareness....They add that the MTVMA will still be on schedule!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">