• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I quit, but I keep getting paid!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Inquiringmind05

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
Ohio
I recently resigned from a job and I got what I thought were my last two paychecks. Then after the 3rd week of not working I received another. My family members told me to hold onto it and see if I get another one. Well, I did. What if I spent it? What will happen when I call them and let them know that they have been doing this? Would they make me pay them back in one lump? My paychecks have been directly deposited to my account. I am so annoyed and confused! What will happen?

C

CheeseBlotto

What will happen is sooner or later they'll want their money back, and they are entitled to it, both ethically and legally.

Call them, and help them get the issue resolved.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Be aware, they can also direct debit your account to correct any overpayment!

If I am not mistaken (Patty? Veronica?) the time has passed when they can legally do that.

Under no circumstances are you entitled to keep the money. Contact them and get this resolved NOW. The sooner you do so, the less you will have to return. We have no way of knowing whether they will want the money back in one lump or not, but if they do, better now than several weeks from now.

Veronica1228

cbg said:
Be aware, they can also direct debit your account to correct any overpayment!

If I am not mistaken (Patty? Veronica?) the time has passed when they can legally do that.

Under no circumstances are you entitled to keep the money. Contact them and get this resolved NOW. The sooner you do so, the less you will have to return. We have no way of knowing whether they will want the money back in one lump or not, but if they do, better now than several weeks from now.
They usually have 5 business days to reverse the direct deposit. They CANNOT directly debit the account any other way since the OP has not given them authorization to do so.

It may seem like splitting hairs, but directly debiting the account is very different from reversing a credit.

Inquiringmind05

Thank you for your advice

undefined
Thank you everyone for your advice. I called my ex-employer and I explained to them what had been happening. I hadn't touched the money that they had accidentally paid me. The were VWERY happy i called! I was just happy to get it off of my mind! I feel ALOT better for calling and letting them know. Thanks again. :)

Veronica1228

Inquiringmind05 said:
undefined
Thank you everyone for your advice. I called my ex-employer and I explained to them what had been happening. I hadn't touched the money that they had accidentally paid me. The were VWERY happy i called! I was just happy to get it off of my mind! I feel ALOT better for calling and letting them know. Thanks again. :)
Your ex-employer lost a good and honest employee when you quit. You don't know how rare it is to see this type of positive behavior on this website.

Good for you! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">