• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Not Paying for Work as Stated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RachelTN

What is the name of your state? TN

I have an e-mail from a company that I work for stating my rate per hour and the number of hours per week I will be paid.

I am now in a situation where they are saying I can only bill so many hours, but I quit my other job to take this one because it was 35 hours or more per week and I couldn't do two full-time positions.

Do I have any recourse to collect the additional hours????!!!! I mean, we have gone from 35 to 10 in two weeks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfortunately, no. Unless the e-mail somehow manages to meet the definition of a binding contract, which is doubtful, your employer is legally entitled to change your terms of employment as needed, including the number of hours you work.

BTW, if your employer did not have this right, you would never get a raise, never get added benefits, etc. If the employer could never change the terms of your original hire agreement, he wouldn't be able to change them to benefit you, either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">