• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal harassment in hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelldr

What is the name of your state? TX
I was employed at my job for almost 12 years and within the last year or so, the office manager had made it clear that she wanted me gone by threatening me to look for another job to screaming at me in front of patients and coworkers on several occasions. She also told other coworkers what she was going to do to me before she did it, such as taking my main job duties away and having everyone know I was being let go before I was. She also hired someone to take my place before I was gone. On top of all that, they're refusing to pay my unemployment and fighting me on it. I'm just wondering if this is legal in the state of Texas, and if she can get away with treating me as unfairly as she did.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under the law, you are not in a hostile work environment in any state unless you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII or related laws. It doesn't matter how unpleasant the environment is; if there's no sexual/racial/gender/etc. discrimination/harassment, it's not a hostile work environment.

No law in any state makes it illegal for your boss to be a jerk.

THEY are not refusing to pay your unemployment. They don't have that power. They may be contesting it, but the state and only the state makes the decision who does and does not get unemployment, NOT your employer.

Nothing you have posted suggests that anything illegal has transpired or that you have any legal recourse except to appeal the unemployment decision, if indeed the state has made a final decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">