• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justice111

What is the name of your state? MN

If I'm being sued can I quit claim my half of the house to my wife to keep the plaintiff from attatching a lein or other judgement on my home?

If so what's the up and/or downside to doing that?

HomeGuru

Justice111 said:
What is the name of your state? MN

If I'm being sued can I quit claim my half of the house to my wife to keep the plaintiff from attatching a lein or other judgement on my home?

**A: yes you can and be subject to a fraudulent conveyance of assets to purposely evade creditors charge.

If so what's the up and/or downside to doing that?
**A: it's all downhill from there.

Some Random Guy

"fraudulent conveyance" is giving your assets to someone else to hide them from creditors. Creditors are people that you owe money to. As part of this lawsuit, the plaintiff claims that you owe him money for some damages. (unpaid loan, car accident, whatever). If you lose the trial, the judgement will serve to _confirm_ that you did in fact owe the money based on the circumstances that exist _today_. So they are in fact a current creditor (if they eventuially win).

Look up the laws or similar cases for fraudulent conveyance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">