• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlove28

What is the name of your state?nj
I was recently fired. The reason I was told was that when i was on vaction we (upper mgmt) looked in your drawer and found things that were not done mainly a project that you stated was completed and the company lost X amount for dollars. The fact to the matter is that I was told by my supervisor to put the project to the side and to other work. So basically I took the wrap for something my supervisor told me to do. I was never wriitten up had great reviews and was totally surprised. Also i found out that another supervisor of mine new I was getting fired before my vacation. I find it hard to believe if i cost the company x amount of dollars and they new it that they would wait 16 days before firing me. Either way their story has plenty of loopholes, do I have a case for wrongful termination?

mlove28

Thank you for being very rude to me. I did read up on wrongful termination before I "wasted your time" and it cleary says it depends on your state wheather or not they have to give you just cause for firing and since my former employers just cause was not truthful, I signed up just to ask a question, but thanks again for being rude. And for your response as to the some odd questions asked a month on this subject you should not be signed up to this service if you aren't really interested in answering questions. I wouldn't suggested if someone called or came to your office you would be rude to them.

Beth3

mlove, I don't know what you read but all States except Montana are "employment at will" States which means an employer does not have to have just cause to discharge you. You can be fired for any reason except a specifically prohibited one. While I think it stinks that your supervisor let you take the fall for this, it was not illegal and thus not a wrongful termination.

mlove28

Than you Beth3 for your answer i read the info by going on yahoo and typing in wrongful termination the first states tn the last paragraph that in many states employers must at least show "good cause" for terminating you. But good cause or not is often a matter of interpatation by the courts. Again than you for your help

BelizeBreeze

mlove28 said:
Than you Beth3 for your answer i read the info by going on yahoo and typing in wrongful termination the first states tn the last paragraph that in many states employers must at least show "good cause" for terminating you. But good cause or not is often a matter of interpatation by the courts. Again than you for your help
WRONG AGAIN! Geeez, did you pass the third grade reading or not?

"JUST CAUSE" has nothing whatsoever to do with wrongful termination. It has to do with unemployment benefits. PERIOD!

Did someone wake up this morning without their intelligence pill? :rolleyes:

mlove28

Again with the rudeness did you have a mother and I stated where I got the info from so why dont you read it I'm not a lawyer and nor do I know anything about this subject that's why i asked the question and I thought that is what you were here for instead of being insulting to me and just answering a simple question as Beth3 did. It's funny she could answer the question although i"m sure she's heard it a thousand times without the smart remarks. Do your friends even like you? Or do you have any?

BelizeBreeze

mlove28 said:
Again with the rudeness did you have a mother and I stated where I got the info from so why dont you read it I'm not a lawyer and nor do I know anything about this subject that's why i asked the question and I thought that is what you were here for instead of being insulting to me and just answering a simple question as Beth3 did.
So why are you still arguing about it. You were told TWICE that this is not a wrongful termination case and yet you "read somewhere" that you have to have 'good cause'.

YOu simply can't read.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Mlove, you have apples and are trying to follow a recipe that uses oranges. :)

As Beth said, in every state except Montana (and even in Montana in some circumstances) an employer may fire you with or without just cause, as long as they do not violate any discrimination or public policy laws.

However, the employee will most of the time receive unemployment benefits unless the employer is able to demonstrate good cause as is defined in the unemployment regulations of that particular state.

Just cause for termination, and just cause for unemployment, are not the same thing. For example, an employee who is terminated for poor performance can be said to have been terminated for just cause as far as that goes. However, unless the employee was deliberately doing poor work, it is unlikely that poor performance will qualify as just cause for purposes of unemployment.

But, as has been said above, as far as being able to legally term an employee, just cause is only required in Montana and not always then. An employer can legally term you because you cheer for the Red Sox and your boss is a Yankees' fan, if it comes to that.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
Mlove, you have apples and are trying to follow a recipe that uses oranges. :)

As Beth said, in every state except Montana (and even in Montana in some circumstances) an employer may fire you with or without just cause, as long as they do not violate any discrimination or public policy laws.

However, the employee will most of the time receive unemployment benefits unless the employer is able to demonstrate good cause as is defined in the unemployment regulations of that particular state.

Just cause for termination, and just cause for unemployment, are not the same thing. For example, an employee who is terminated for poor performance can be said to have been terminated for just cause as far as that goes. However, unless the employee was deliberately doing poor work, it is unlikely that poor performance will qualify as just cause for purposes of unemployment.

But, as has been said above, as far as being able to legally term an employee, just cause is only required in Montana and not always then. An employer can legally term you because you cheer for the Red Sox and your boss is a Yankees' fan, if it comes to that.
I really woudn't use the Sox on this one. Not after LOSING TO THE ROYALS :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But we're still ahead of the Yankees, and to a true Sox fan, that's all that matters.

mlove28

Again thanks for the help. I was no longer arguing the fact Beth3 asked where I read the info I told her where I got it from and thanked her again ending my discussion and Belize came on again insulting me so I answered back and honestly if I would of gotten a straight forward answer the first time instead of being talked down to this matter would have ended long ago Just because you may have more education than someone doesn't give you the right to treat someone like they are less than a person. I asked a straight forward question I should have goten a straight forward answer. I wasn't too hard everyone else was nice with their answers with the exception of Belize Breeze. I agian ask why is in this forum if he/she does not what to help people

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">