• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding land purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pubwks16

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am purchasing land in Alabama. The seller owns a large amount of land, however, he did not have a survey done on the section of land for sale (18 acres). The sign and advertisement stated 18 acres, and I agreed to pay for the survey, based on an e-mail from the realestate agent stating that the survey should be only $1,500 or less. I spoke to the surveyor, he stated it could be as much as $4,000 for the survey.

Do I have any recourse in this matter, considering that the realestate agent mis-stated the estimated cost of the survey by this great of an amount, or can I force the seller to pay a portion of the cost over the stated $1,500?

Shouldn't the seller have had a survey done of the property before he put it on the market?

Do I have any type of recourse in this matter, or am I basically screwed? I think I am going to need a lawyer, but wanted your advice before going any further. My wife is ready to kill me so any help will prolong my life expectency by a few years, maybe.

Thanks,

WAD

HomeGuru

Pubwks16 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am purchasing land in Alabama. The seller owns a large amount of land, however, he did not have a survey done on the section of land for sale (18 acres). The sign and advertisement stated 18 acres, and I agreed to pay for the survey, based on an e-mail from the realestate agent stating that the survey should be only $1,500 or less. I spoke to the surveyor, he stated it could be as much as $4,000 for the survey.

Do I have any recourse in this matter, considering that the realestate agent mis-stated the estimated cost of the survey by this great of an amount, or can I force the seller to pay a portion of the cost over the stated $1,500?

**A: you could certainly negotiate. and next time talk to the surveyor and get a written estimate BEFORE accepting the contract or put in the contract that the cost of the survey must be approved by you and written approval is a contingency in the contract. If you do not approve of the cost or if the cost exceeds $_____, you may elect to terminate the contract.
]************

Shouldn't the seller have had a survey done of the property before he put it on the market?

**A: yes, but there is no law requiring it unless he is subdiving his land.

Do I have any type of recourse in this matter, or am I basically screwed? I think I am going to need a lawyer, but wanted your advice before going any further. My wife is ready to kill me so any help will prolong my life expectency by a few years, maybe.

Thanks,

WAD
**A: ok, I hope you live a little longer. I bet your wife said to use a Realtor or RE attorney from the get go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">