• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible case for wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concernedwife77

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband was recently terminated from his job and was devastated by this. He feels the reason he was terminated was because he was offended by an office 'bachelor' party held for him before our marriage and spoke out against it. This party was thrown at his office during normal office hours by his co-workers (mostly female) and was condoned by the owners of the company (one of the owners actually attended). Most of the gifts he received were sexually-oriented (sex toys, sexual literature, etc.). This party offended and embarassed him tremendously. The day after the party, he told the owners that he was offended by this and they just laughed it off as 'just good fun' and told him that is what happens before you get married. A few days later after not being taken seriously and being told he was overreacting, he suggested that it would probably be best if the co-workers who set up the party did not attend our wedding. And it just so happens that one of these co-workers is best friends with one of the owners. This is why he feels he was wrongfully terminated.

There was no other reason for him to be terminated. His employee reviews were always above average and he has had no warnings/complaints in his employee file. He has not filed any complaints with the EEOC because he was not sure if it would be worth the trouble. So, we were wondering if this would possibly be a legitimate scenerio for wrongful termination case?

Thank you,
concernedwife77

HomeGuru

concernedwife77 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband was recently terminated from his job and was devastated by this. He feels the reason he was terminated was because he was offended by an office 'bachelor' party held for him before our marriage and spoke out against it. This party was thrown at his office during normal office hours by his co-workers (mostly female) and was condoned by the owners of the company (one of the owners actually attended). Most of the gifts he received were sexually-oriented (sex toys, sexual literature, etc.). This party offended and embarassed him tremendously. The day after the party, he told the owners that he was offended by this and they just laughed it off as 'just good fun' and told him that is what happens before you get married. A few days later after not being taken seriously and being told he was overreacting, he suggested that it would probably be best if the co-workers who set up the party did not attend our wedding. And it just so happens that one of these co-workers is best friends with one of the owners. This is why he feels he was wrongfully terminated.

There was no other reason for him to be terminated. His employee reviews were always above average and he has had no warnings/complaints in his employee file. He has not filed any complaints with the EEOC because he was not sure if it would be worth the trouble. So, we were wondering if this would possibly be a legitimate scenerio for wrongful termination case?

Thank you,
concernedwife77
**A: he has no case and nothing you posted even hints on discrimination and violation of his civil rights as an employee. Is he a Mormon, Mama's boy and has he been living in a cave?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I actually had to give this one some thought before responding, but I also came to the conclusion that no wrongful termination took place. There are two reasons:

1.) It doesn't sound to me as if the trigger was his offense at the party. It sounds more as if the trigger was the boss (and/or the boss's friend) were offended at his rescinding the wedding invitation, and that does not constitute a wrongful term.

2.) EVEN IF one agreed that the party consituted a harassing act, which is questionable, a single instance is not enough to qualify as sexual harassment or a hostile work environment.

Complaining about sexual harassment is protected. But complaining because one's co-workers threw a party in questionable taste is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">