• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting up a taxable corp under a non-profit foundation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shoutstudio

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

Hi,

I have a question about setting up a non-profit vs. a for profit corporation.

My question is this:

Is it possible for a non-profit to run a for profit corporation? I was reading an article in the Hollywood Reporter of the company that makes the Firefox web browser. The pertinent paragraph to the article reads like this:

"Firefox is a product of the Mozilla Corporation, a taxable subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation non-profit software development organization."

I run a film festival and was thinking of making it a non-profit, but I also do seminars that I want to run under the non-profit and want this to be the for profit part of the business.

Can I do the same thing as the Mozilla Corporation?

The reason I want to make the festival a non-profit is to be eligible for local government grants in Los Angeles, who give monies to non-profits to assist with their ventures. I also know other organizations who give grants, but you have to be a non-profit to receive these type of grants.

Any clarification or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kindest,
Chris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">