• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

amount of Fmla per year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louielouii

What is the name of your state?INDIANA If I have been using FMLA and have been on medical leave for myself after surgery on my handfor 26 weeks and now I am back to work can I use a separate FMLA for my mother who has lung cancer or can you only have so many weeks a year. I heard it was only 13 weeks total FMLA total a year.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have a total of 12 weeks per 12 month period, however your employer counts a 12 month period. If you have already used 12 weeks for your surgery, then you have none left for your mother's illness unless you have crossed into a new 12 month period as your employer counts it.

(They are allowed to use calendar year; fiscal year, or a rolling year based on the date your leave began. They can pick the one they want, but having picked one, they have to use the same basis for all employees who take FMLA.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">