• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander against my business on news station

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lp1089

What is the name of your state?Tx

I need to know what my rights are. About 2 months ago one of my former workers crashed in to someone's yard. The owner wants me to pay for damages which I am okay with. There was very little damage to her fence and some plants. I told her I would be more than happy to pay for the damages and that I would send someone out there to assess the damages. Well it turns out that she wants me to pay top dollar for the damages. She is charging me almot 300 for a 20 ft palm tree and like 100 dollars for some small plants and then about 200 dollars for part of the fence. She states that she was the original person who installed her fence 10 yrs ago. I informed her that it was not a reasonable amount and that I do not have that kind of money. She threatened to call the news stations and tell them. (its only news because she wants her 15 minutes of fame and because I have a business.) I told her to do what she wants. Well yesterday a local news station harrased me by phone, stated that if I do not give an interview it would hurt my business and that he would make he go bankrupt. I told him to leave me alone. Around lunch time he showed up and tried to make his way in to my office. My wife and I told him he needed to leave, that we were not giving interviews and had no comment. He continued to be aggressive and kept yelling at my wife. He scared her bad enough that she broke down and called 911. The reporter laughed about the entire situation. We told him that we knew our rights and if we told him not to record us and to leave us alone that he had to. He stated that this would all be on the 6 o'clock news. My daughter spoke to the news director and informed her of the situation and stated that if they did not take it off the news that we would file a law suite against them, the news director sstated that it would not be on the news that afternoon. Well today at 6 o'clock they decided to run the story. Sadly they didnt run the entire story as reporters never do. On the tape you never see the reporter being aggressive and taunting my wife.

How can they run this on television and state that i'm refusing to pay when the fact is the women wants money and is not willing to accept a reasonable amount. How can they run such lies when I told them they were not allowed on my property and that I did not want them recording any of this and that I had no comment.

Can they really do this and get away with it?

is there anything I can do against them and the women who started this all? Can I get them for harrassment and slander?

BelizeBreeze

lp1089 said:
What is the name of your state?Tx

I need to know what my rights are. About 2 months ago one of my former workers crashed in to someone's yard. The owner wants me to pay for damages which I am okay with. There was very little damage to her fence and some plants. I told her I would be more than happy to pay for the damages and that I would send someone out there to assess the damages. Well it turns out that she wants me to pay top dollar for the damages.
And that's her right unless you want to file a claim with your insurance company.
She is charging me almot 300 for a 20 ft palm tree
Depending on the damage, quite reasonable.
and like 100 dollars for some small plants
Again, not unreasonable.
and then about 200 dollars for part of the fence.
And again, not unreasonable.

Or did you forget about labor? Remember, she has the right to be made whole, as if the accident had never happened. So, either negotiate or turn the matter over to your insurance company.
She states that she was the original person who installed her fence 10 yrs ago.
Irrelevant
I informed her that it was not a reasonable amount and that I do not have that kind of money. She threatened to call the news stations and tell them.
And again, that's her right.
(its only news because she wants her 15 minutes of fame and because I have a business.)
irrelevant
I told her to do what she wants.
I guess you wish you hadn't now.
Well yesterday a local news station harrased me by phone, stated that if I do not give an interview it would hurt my business and that he would make he go bankrupt.
I seriously doubt that. Would it hurt your business? Sure, if you didn't tell your side of the story. Could HE make you go bankrupt. No, but if the story aired without your side customers might take offense to you and not do business anymore. and THAT could bankrupt you.
I told him to leave me alone. Around lunch time he showed up and tried to make his way in to my office.
and did he enter against your wishes and not leave when you told him to?
My wife and I told him he needed to leave, that we were not giving interviews and had no comment.
o.k.
He continued to be aggressive and kept yelling at my wife.
HOW was he being aggressive? Did he strike anyone or was he just persistent in asking for an interview?
He scared her bad enough that she broke down and called 911.
And what happened to the report you filed with the police?
The reporter laughed about the entire situation. We told him that we knew our rights and if we told him not to record us and to leave us alone that he had to.
And he knows he doesn't have to.
He stated that this would all be on the 6 o'clock news.
That's not his decision to make.
My daughter spoke to the news director and informed her of the situation and stated that if they did not take it off the news that we would file a law suite against them,
Which you would have lost very easily.
the news director sstated that it would not be on the news that afternoon. Well today at 6 o'clock they decided to run the story. Sadly they didnt run the entire story as reporters never do. Of course they didn't because you never gave them YOUR side of the story.

On the tape you never see the reporter being aggressive and taunting my wife.
Did you expect it would be?
How can they run this on television and state that i'm refusing to pay when the fact is the women wants money and is not willing to accept a reasonable amount.
That is refusing to pay.
How can they run such lies when I told them they were not allowed on my property and that I did not want them recording any of this and that I had no comment.
then your no comment allowed them to only broadcast ONE SIDE of the story. You have no one to blame but yourself for that.
Can they really do this and get away with it?
get away with what? Only showing one side of a story? Of course they can. Because you made that decision for them.
is there anything I can do against them and the women who started this all?
No and no.
and the easiest way to put an end to this is to file a claim with YOUR insurance company.
Can I get them for harrassment and slander?
Slander no. They published what was available and gave you a chance for your side of the story. You have now no standing to claim they only provided 1/2 of the story. Regardless of the way the reporter acted, you had ample chance to provide other relevant facts as you saw them.

Also, you have no claim against the women. She has a right to be made whole and to recieve payment for your damages. The fact that she asked for more than YOU think is reasonable is immaterial.

lp1089

slander on news

First off I have gotten quotes for the damages and it is less than 300 with labor. As for the police, I am more than likely going to contact them tomorrow morning to file trespassing charges on private property. He was told upon arrival that he needed to leave as he was not welcome there.

As for aggressive, aside from yelling at my wife in a close range he pushed his away against her when she was blocking the entrance to the shop.

He was asked no to record any of this. According to the local judge I spoke to before the news reporter arrived he stated if I asked them to leave that they need to leave and if I told them that I didnt want them recording as they didnt have my permission that they couldn't do it. They did show on the news some of the responses given to him by me and my wife which again were not suppose to be recorded.

We even told him we didnt have the money. He kept yelling at me and my wife to give him 800 dollars. Again he pushed him self against my wife.

I dont understand why when there was damage to my property due to a car accident the police could do nothing to make these people pay and the news didnt seem to care when this occurred. Yet because she wants her moment of fame this is a big deal.

The reason I say its slander is because we TOLD her, we will pay you. We do not have the amount of money she is requesting and again its a higher amount than it is worth.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

lp1089 said:
First off I have gotten quotes for the damages and it is less than 300 with labor. As for the police, I am more than likely going to contact them tomorrow morning to file trespassing charges on private property. He was told upon arrival that he needed to leave as he was not welcome there.
and she has the right, as the damaged party, to reject your 'offer' in lieu of what SHE feels is fair. so your only option is to file a claim with your insurance or pay the woman or wait to be sued.
As for aggressive, aside from yelling at my wife in a close range he pushed his away against her when she was blocking the entrance to the shop.
and if you are telling the truth and have proof of this, then you should file batter charges against the reporter.
He was asked no to record any of this. According to the local judge I spoke to before the news reporter arrived he stated if I asked them to leave that they need to leave and if I told them that I didnt want them recording as they didnt have my permission that they couldn't do it.
Yes, he must leave IF he is on private property. But your judge is wrong when it comes to recording. I still think there's some of the story I'm not getting. For example, did he record until you told him to stop. And was there a reason you answered some of his questions and not others?

They did show on the news some of the responses given to him by me and my wife which again were not suppose to be recorded.
And again, this is a matter of fact for a court to decide, not a judge on the phone and not an internet forum. There are too many factors that just aren't know.
We even told him we didnt have the money. He kept yelling at me and my wife to give him 800 dollars. Again he pushed him self against my wife.
And I find this hard to believe. Why would he tell YOU to give HIM the money? This doesn't make sense. And IF you have insurance then you have the money. If you don't have insurance then that's another matter and you don't have any room to complain.
I dont understand why when there was damage to my property due to a car accident the police could do nothing to make these people pay and the news didnt seem to care when this occurred. Yet because she wants her moment of fame this is a big deal.
The police have nothing to do with this situation either.
The reason I say its slander is because we TOLD her, we will pay you. We do not have the amount of money she is requesting and again its a higher amount than it is worth.
Saying you will pay and then NOT paying and then her telling the news station that you won't pay HER amount is not slander. IT's two sides of the same story.

And the reason why there is no suit for slander against the station. They are reporting the facts as given to them.

lp1089

thank you for your time

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for your time. My lawyer has started on all necessary items and it seems we do have a case for defamation of character. The basis is that the reporter knew what he was presenting was false and he aired it on local television with the intent to hurt my business. ( reverting to the threat he made if I didnt give an interivew)

BelizeBreeze

lp1089 said:
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for your time. My lawyer has started on all necessary items and it seems we do have a case for defamation of character. The basis is that the reporter knew what he was presenting was false and he aired it on local television with the intent to hurt my business. ( reverting to the threat he made if I didnt give an interivew)
I wish you luck but don't hold out much hope for recovery.

If your attorney is basing your case on the report's (alleged) statement then it will be a matter of context. One in which the court will be forced to decide on the facts, not just your interpretation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">