• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting out of mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger7604

I am from Kansas, and a friend of mine and her brother bought a house a little over a year ago. She now wants to get an apartment of her own for various personal reasons, including the fact that he has been overcharging her on the various bills that should be shared. Her name is on both the mortgage and the house title. What does she need to do to get out of this situation?

Warped

tigger7604 said:
I am from Kansas, and a friend of mine and her brother bought a house a little over a year ago. She now wants to get an apartment of her own for various personal reasons, including the fact that he has been overcharging her on the various bills that should be shared. Her name is on both the mortgage and the house title. What does she need to do to get out of this situation?

I'm not a lawyer!

I believe that the only fair and equitable solution would be for the brother to buy the sister out. If the brother is unwilling, have the sister file an action of partition. The action of partition will force the sale of the house and the proceeds will be split between the owners who are on the deed after the mortgage is paid off. I'm not sure if the brother would be able to buy out the sister if an A of P is filed but it'd make a good threat at least.

BelizeBreeze

tigger7604 said:
If her name is on the deed then tell her to file a PARTITION SUIT. Her action will be partion for sale with costs taxed to defendant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">