• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catldogSR

What is the name of your state? California

Actually we are retired in Wa .. both community property states. It's a long story but I will shorten it. Hubby retired after 30 years law enforcement, I am 2nd wife. Agreement for 1st wife was by the time of law rule for a portion of his pension. When hubby retired we signed all the papers we believed needed BUT was not appraised that even tho ex-wife got a decent portion of his retirement -- he had not had the courts rescind his court ordered spousal support.

Yup, she took him to court for back spousal support and won -- yes, we were shocked as it meant she got the retirement PLUS spousal support and ended up with 70% of our income. The monies were garnished from his pension (here in Wa you cannot garnish a pension but guess you can in Calif) So monies due came to $xxxxx and we had to pay a substantial fee each month including all of her attorney fees.

Now my hubby just passed last month at a very young age of 56. According to the original spousal agreement -- it was until either party deceased. I have talked with the retirement board and the past debt is null and void once he died so the garnishment for past spousal support is no longer valid.

A realtor friend had a search done for me on the property and we find that his ex wife and atty have set a lien upon the home for the past spousal support. The home is now mine due to survivorship AND I was told that the past spousal award is null and void and that what I need to seek is a Release of Lien??

Is this something I can do myself?? Do I need an attorney??? Guess this is both family law and real estate law. What exactly is release of lien -- I understand what the words mean but is it something normally done when a spouse passes??

Thank you for your time and any advice

HomeGuru

catldogSR said:
What is the name of your state? California

Actually we are retired in Wa .. both community property states. It's a long story but I will shorten it. Hubby retired after 30 years law enforcement, I am 2nd wife. Agreement for 1st wife was by the time of law rule for a portion of his pension. When hubby retired we signed all the papers we believed needed BUT was not appraised that even tho ex-wife got a decent portion of his retirement -- he had not had the courts rescind his court ordered spousal support.

Yup, she took him to court for back spousal support and won -- yes, we were shocked as it meant she got the retirement PLUS spousal support and ended up with 70% of our income. The monies were garnished from his pension (here in Wa you cannot garnish a pension but guess you can in Calif) So monies due came to $xxxxx and we had to pay a substantial fee each month including all of her attorney fees.

Now my hubby just passed last month at a very young age of 56. According to the original spousal agreement -- it was until either party deceased. I have talked with the retirement board and the past debt is null and void once he died so the garnishment for past spousal support is no longer valid.

A realtor friend had a search done for me on the property and we find that his ex wife and atty have set a lien upon the home for the past spousal support. The home is now mine due to survivorship AND I was told that the past spousal award is null and void and that what I need to seek is a Release of Lien??

Is this something I can do myself?? Do I need an attorney??? Guess this is both family law and real estate law. What exactly is release of lien -- I understand what the words mean but is it something normally done when a spouse passes??

Thank you for your time and any advice

**A: hire an attorney because it could get complicated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">