• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Small Biz Question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rebecca61

--CALIFORNIA--

Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question: As a Garden/Landscape Designer (NOT a Landscape Architect) working in California, with a standard city business license, would it be legal for me to also act as a project manager (and be paid for this) on a job, and hire and oversee contractors to implement my design?

Thanks much!

Rebecca

seniorjudge

As a Garden/Landscape Designer (NOT a Landscape Architect) working in California, with a standard city business license, would it be legal for me to also act as a project manager (and be paid for this) on a job, and hire and oversee contractors to implement my design?

Could you ask your question in standard English and not "Califoniaese" so we could figure out what you are asking?

But if all you're asking is if you can tell somebody where to plant a bush, then the answer is yes.

Rebecca61

Here's More Info For You...

OK, let's say I was hired by a homeowner to design a landscape for his front yard. the landscpe will include walkways, planters, maybe a patio, a water feature etc., as well as plants of course.

I am not a contractor, i'm a designer, so obviously some contractors will need to be hired to implement my design.

In this scenario, the owner does not want to deal with seeking out and hiring contractors, and has therefore asked me to oversee the project...meaning he wants me to hire and instruct the contractors on what needs to be done, and then keep an eye on them.

Because this would take a fair amount of my time, I would intend to charge for this service.

Would this be legal for me to do?....considering I am a designer, and not a contractor? Would I be stepping over into contractor territory? Is there a way to do this and not step over the legal boundary?

Hope that helps to clarify.

Thanks,

Rebecca

I'd suggest the best way to get an answer to your question would be to contact the building department of the local government involved. In an earlier life, I worked for a landscaper here in Ohio and I do know that they were required to be licensed and bonded wherever they worked. Later, as a consultanting agency, we had CAD designer doing drawings for builders, landscapers, and even architects. In all cases, their project managers required bonding.

Of course that's Ohio...you left coast people may play by different rules. Check with the local government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">