• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Charge and Background Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misty_Angel_001

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I entered a plea agreement to misappropriation of funds in 1993. Turns out this is a felony charge. No jail time was served, 3 years unsupervised probation.

Now I am trying to find a decent job. Every application has the "Ever been convicted of a felony charge" box. If I check yes, will this lessen my chances for the job? If I check no, I'm lying and if a background check is completed it will show up.

My question is how far back will the background check go and is there any way to avoid this question on the applications? Also this happened in another state, I now live in NC. Will the background check show up from another state? How does the criminal/background check work?

longneck

you need to do a search in this forum for "background check" in the post title. this question has been asked and answered numerous times.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

longneck said:
you need to do a search in this forum for "background check" in the post title. this question has been asked and answered numerous times.

My response:

. . . and, speaking about background checks, longneck, how about filling out your "Profile" information?

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not checking yes on the application will affect your job chances, will depend entirely upon the employer.

Lying on the application will almost certainly get you put in the do-not-hire pile; if it is not discovered until after you are hired, it will almost certainly get you fired.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbg said:
Whether or not checking yes on the application will affect your job chances, will depend entirely upon the employer.

Lying on the application will almost certainly get you put in the do-not-hire pile; if it is not discovered until after you are hired, it will almost certainly get you fired.

My response:

cbg is describing what we affectionately refer to as, "being between a rock and a hard place."

IAAL

longneck

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
. . . and, speaking about background checks, longneck, how about filling out your "Profile" information?
why, are you on the hunt again for people to ban from the boards?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">