• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workmans comp or short-term disability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

secretary

I've worked as a receptionist at a company in Pennsylvania for over a year. A few months ago, after having mild spasms at work, I had a massive one at home (I was not doing anything strenuous). After missing some time at work, months later I found out the cause of my problems was a herniated disc.

I never reported my mild spasms to my supervisor, but a couple of doctors suggested my disc problems likely came from my job. I sit at a desk, answer phones (a the time, with no headset) and twist and turn my neck all day, as I am centrally located in our office.

Should I (very belatedly) ask for workman's comp, or would this be too foggy an area. I do have short-term disabilty that will take care of my needs for now, but I am scared that I have done damage that may be permanent, and have continuously re-aggrevated my condition at work.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's no harm in applying for workers comp. If it's declined, you can alway then apply to the std policy. (They will probably need a copy of the letter from workers comp declining the case, if there is any likelihood of it being work related.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">