• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mine Subsidence Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MyHouseIsSinkin

What is the name of your state? PA

I live in western Pennsylvania, which is probably one of the most heavily mined areas in the country. Well, those old coal mines are starting to destroy my home. Our foundation is cracked, so is our driveway, and you feel like your walking uphill/downhill depended on which way you walk inside the house. I was just wondering if there is a law that requires people to inform you of possible mine subsidence before you buy a house, and when that law came into effect. Thanks for your help!

AGENT35

Ok, there should have been disclosure at closing if previous damage was present. However, if no damage was present, nothing had to be said. When you bought HomeOwner's insurance, I'm quite sure you were offered mine subsidence coverage. I know it is available as I write PA HO policies very often. Check with your insurance company to see if you elected that endorsement. If so, make the claim. If not, nothing can be done about it now as the endorsement will not cover existing damage when added. Sorry.... :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">