• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dishonored check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Underwood

New York

Hello All Readers and Responders,

I have a basketball team that I coach. The team plays in a tournament that awards the first place team $2200 and the second place team $1000. My team won first place and was given a money order for $200 which cleared and a check from a third party for $2000 which was returned for insufficient funds.I'm suing in small claims court for the funds, but are there any damages other than bank cost and legal action cost that I may seek ?. Is it true that I may seek three times the face value up to $750 ? If so, what CPL reg. number might this be?

Thank You in Advance
Underwood

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The holder of a bad check generally is entitled to the recovery of the face amount of the check, plus civil damages twice the amount of the check up to a maximum of $750.00.

(Face value of check plus two times check amount up to a maximum of $400 on NSF or $750 on "no account" (Demand prescribed by law). GEN.OB.1.1-104 )

I would suggest that you go to your nearest bookstore, in the legal section, and find a book on this subject. This is because most States have requirements that you, as the creditor, must do before you can use the Statute. For example, some States require a Certified, Return Receipt "Demand Letter" be mailed, giving 30 days to reply by the debtor. Also, the letter must be written in a particular way before the Statute can be used.

IAAL

U

Underwood

Dear Senior Member,
Thank you ever so much for your input. I will be at the library Monday morning. What a wonderful tool this www is.

underwood

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">