• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Broker Problems With Title Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marriagepact

Title Company Wants To Kick My A$$

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am a mortgage broker and 2 months ago I closed my first residential loan. About 1 month (Estimation) after that I heard from another broker, that helped me on the loan, say to the client "the title company owes you another $200".

Then just this weekend my boss told me that he is tired of the title company calling him and asking him to have me pay them $200 because they overpaid me. I guess they didnt want to ask me because they were scared of losing my business. So my boss told me to call them and take care of it. I said to my boss what if I dont want to pay. He said then dont pay.

So I called the closing agent at the Title Company. She said that what happened is that there was a loan origination fee in the second mortgage that should not have been there and it was charged to the clients and I was overpaid and now she wants me to pay the money back. Yes that is true I would never charge a client $200 for loan origination on the 2 mortgage. I told her first of all she would have to prove to me that thats what happened, second I got taxed on that money so if I paid them $200 I would lose money.

Next I went to the client and told him why he hadnt got his check that he had been waiting on. He was upset with the title company and gave them a call. The Closing Agent told him that I owed him the money and not the title company. He told her "no thats not right" and then she changed the story to my company owes him the money and then she changed the story and said that the the lender that did the loan owes him the money. Then she did a even worse lie when she said that I knew about the $200 loan origination fee in the second the whole time.

However one broker told me that a problem I could face is that if the lender accidently put the $200 loan origination in the second loan and then my processor signed off on it then I would be liable for it. I did not see the HUD-1 or sign on it and I did not go to the closing. I was going to go too the closing but my client told me not to worry about going.

So basically can I sue anybody for anything? Or can anybody sue me for anything?

P.S. There was no loan originations in the 1st or 2nd mortgage in the Good Faith Estimate

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">