• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can my neighbors impose restrictions on my land?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loose cannon

What is the name of your state?
i've recently inherited a small parcel of land in houston county, al. the land is located in a rural farming area approximately 10 miles from the city limits of a small city. the property has been in the family since at least 1879. i listed the land with a local realtor several months ago, who has had no success in selling it. i was approached by a friend wanting to place a mobile home on it for his son. when i told the realtor i wanted to take the property off the market & the reason why, he said my property had restrictions forbidding mobile homes. the restrictions, according to him, had been imposed by a small development of about 10-12 upper middle income homes that were built nearby some 10 years ago. i checked the deed at the probate office & there was no evidence of restrictions or zoning codes. the clerk said i was free to do as i deemed with the property. i told the realtor what i hadn't found but he was resolute that my land had restrictions on it since it was in what he called a "platter's subdivision". is he blowing smoke in an attempt to maintain the listing or could his info be factual? if so, where can i find legal verification if it's not recorded at the probate office?

thanx
denis

Last edited:

loose cannon

inquired at county courthouse & found zoning commissions exist only at municipal levels here, which has no bearing on me since i'm several miles from any city limits. ruling out any zoning codes & finding no restrictions recorded in the probate office, should i now be in the clear or is there somewhere else i should check?

thanx
denis

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">