• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated- Probationary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

britknee803

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was curious if I have to be given notice of an extended Probationary Period?

Also can a company fire you for absenteeism due to illness, if you had requested certain days off and it was granted before hand?

Brittiany

Sockeye

There is nothing that legally protects, requires, or monitors a "probationary period" per say. This is something that is controlled by company policy.

Is there any signifigant changes that occur after thier probationary period?

Re: your second question. Yes you can be fired for missing work, doesn't matter if it's a legit reason or not, wether you have a Drs note or not. Almost all states are "empoyment at will" which simply means that you can leave, or they can terminate you at any time for any reason or none at all, and without notice.

pattytx

I don't see any legal violations here. Completion of the probationary period does not normally rise to the level of a job guarantee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The short answers to your questions are no and yes.

I can think of some situations in which you could not be fired for missing work due to illness, but if you have worked for the company for under one year they do not apply.

caramelburk

Quick ?

Sockeye said:
There is nothing that legally protects, requires, or monitors a "probationary period" per say. This is something that is controlled by company policy.

Is there any signifigant changes that occur after thier probationary period?

Re: your second question. Yes you can be fired for missing work, doesn't matter if it's a legit reason or not, wether you have a Drs note or not. Almost all states are "empoyment at will" which simply means that you can leave, or they can terminate you at any time for any reason or none at all, and without notice.

Which states, if any, are not "employment at will"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To be precise, since it applies here, Montana recognizes the concept of at-will employment during the employee's probationary period or, if the company does not have a probationary period, during the first six months of employment.

All other states are considered at-will regardless of the length of employment. At-will employment is the default. Employment in this country is considered at-will unless you have a binding contract that says otherwise or are in Montana and have either completed your probationary period or worked longer than six months for the same employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">