• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buyer suing for property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bsmrm

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I sold a property 14 months ago. Now the new owner is suing me in small claims. When she purchased the property, the area was undergoing reassessment. After closing, she got reassessed and taxes went up. I paid all property taxes that were due at closing. She wants me to pay for the property taxes that were billed after she got title.

Also, per contract, she agreed to arbitration, she sued anyway.

Does she have a case?

nextwife

Then go to your former city/village/town hall and obtain copies of any and all official notices that were sent to property owners and the dates of mailing so you can establish that you had not been notified of any change of assessment and there was never any information provided to you that you failed to disclose..

I'm in WI - we just automatically PRESUME an increase in property taxes will occur, and most offers call for prorating based upon at least 110% of prior year taxes.

SueDSeller

Check closing statement

In Florida at closing the seller generally signs an agreement to pay an adjustment in property taxes when they are billed - whatever they are for the year, the seller owes their pro-rated share. The buyer notifies the seller of the difference between the amount paid at closing and the actual amount the seller owes the county.

Taxes are paid in arrears - your December 2004 bill for example is for the 12 months of 2004.

Are you being sued because the taxes went up - or for the amount of the increase that you owe?

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

bsmrm said:
didn't know about it either
What hole have you been hiding in for the last few years? How could you NOT know? It was in all the newspapers about the reassessment. Every county was borrowing money to bridge the gap because the reassessment took so much longer to do than originally planned.

We received a letter from the county 4 years ago telling that reassessment was going to occur, but didn't get our actual reassessed value until just this past May.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">