• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squeeker1

What is the name of your state? Illinois
There seems to be a bit of confusion within my place of employment as to what breaks are required by law and when. Can you straighten this out for me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Federal law does not require breaks. Period. While there are rules the employer has to follow under Federal law if they choose to offer breaks, as far as Federal law is concerned it is entirely up to the employer whether or not to offer them and if so, how long and how many they offer.

Some, but by no means all, states require that all or some employees be provided with breaks. In your state, an employee who works a shift of seven and a half hours or longer is entitled to a 20 minute meal break no later than five hours into the work period. Employee who work a shift of less than seven and a half hours do not, in Illinois, have to be offered breaks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">