• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sewer Easement on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doogster

Fence on property line - on sewer easement

What is the name of your state? NJ

I bought my home in 1996 in a development. There is a sewer easement between my home and my next door neighbor's house. We wanted to put a fence on the property line between our homes - right on the sewer easement. We applied for and received a permit to put up the fence. Its been 9 year now and the sewer company just filed a law suit against us to remove the fence and some trees that we have planted on the easement - saying they cannot access the easement in an emergency. We checked out our deeds and the deeds do say there is an easement - but they list no restrictions about fences and trees or anything like that. We went in front of the sewer board and told them we have a permit to put up the fence and we are NOT in the wrong. They said the town had no right to issue that permit and it is invalid. We just now noticed that 11 days ago the sewer company filed a deed with the town claiming the sewer easement between our homes, I guess, making it "official" - here it is 9 years later and NOW they have filed the deed!!! They told us to remove the fence and cut down the trees or they will "see us in court"

Is this legal??? How can thy do this???

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">