• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Use Requirements for LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

revolon

Texas LLC......My comapny name is John Doe, LLC.(example) I would like to use the words "John Doe" for my business cards and marketing stationary. Can I do this and not include the "LLC" part for media that is only directed at the public.

Do I need to trademark my name?
Do I need to file an assumed name?

Unclear......revolon

JETX

revolon said:
Texas LLC......My comapny name is John Doe, LLC.(example) I would like to use the words "John Doe" for my business cards and marketing stationary. Can I do this and not include the "LLC" part for media that is only directed at the public.
No.

Do I need to trademark my name?
Only if you want to protect it from use/abuse.

Do I need to file an assumed name?
Not if you are going to be doing business under your LLC name.

Question:
Where is your attorney in all of this??

revolon

That is all fine and good, but can I use my LLC name without the LLC on the end. For example, on my business cards. Can I write John Doe Company or do I have to write john Doe Company, LLC?

Of course, when legal docs are drawn up or tax docs, etc, I would plan on using my LLC name as registered with the state.

JETX

revolon said:
That is all fine and good, but can I use my LLC name without the LLC on the end. For example, on my business cards. Can I write John Doe Company or do I have to write john Doe Company, LLC?
You can put anything you want on your business cards. However, why would you put a name that is NOT your business on a card... unless you are talking about a 'personal card of introduction' which is common in Europe??

Of course, when legal docs are drawn up or tax docs, etc, I would plan on using my LLC name as registered with the state.
Yep. And the minute your LLC is sued, the plaintiff will present your PERSONAL card with business address, phone, etc. on it.... and ask the court to amend the filing to include you PERSONALLY.

But, what the hell, put anything you want on your card..... :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">