• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drscotto

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I was let go by my employer today, without any notice. I have a specific, written and signed contract that states:"...termination may be affected by either party without cause on thirty (30) days notice." The closest "reason" he came up with, was that I am dating an ex-employee who previously worked at the same time as myself. In the employee handbook, it describes a situation of dating co-workers as "a conflict of interest," and leaves it as that--with no mention of termination, suspension, etc. The only statement in the contract that addresses immeadiate termination, is due to loss of liscense to practice--which has not occurred. Further, since I work on a percentage of my gross income, they paid me through today and that is it. My big questions are: am I entitled to the thirty days or my annual salary through those thirty days? Or am I entitled to the salary plus some sort of estimated percentage for those thirty days if my employer does not want me back? I had been employed at this business for 23 months. Thank you for any advice.

BelizeBreeze

drscotto said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I was let go by my employer today, without any notice. I have a specific, written and signed contract that states:"...termination may be affected by either party without cause on thirty (30) days notice." The closest "reason" he came up with, was that I am dating an ex-employee who previously worked at the same time as myself. In the employee handbook, it describes a situation of dating co-workers as "a conflict of interest," and leaves it as that--with no mention of termination, suspension, etc. The only statement in the contract that addresses immeadiate termination, is due to loss of liscense to practice--which has not occurred. Further, since I work on a percentage of my gross income, they paid me through today and that is it. My big questions are: am I entitled to the thirty days or my annual salary through those thirty days? Or am I entitled to the salary plus some sort of estimated percentage for those thirty days if my employer does not want me back? I had been employed at this business for 23 months. Thank you for any advice.
Contact an employment law attorney and sue for breach of contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">