• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

registering a business name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glmi

I am in the state of Michigan and want to register my business name. I did a search of the name I chose and found another busiiness using the same name. I am located in west Michigan and the other is located in southeastern Michigan. Would it be okay to still use the name I have chosen, even though it is being used on the opposite side of the state? The other is registered as a LLC. Could I possibly just exclude that part of the name?

Last edited:

I would suggest looking for a different name. If for nothing else than you would not want someone taking a name that you had been using for awhile. There are so many ways that possible consumers could get confused, especially in the internet age.

Not only that, but if that LLC has registered the name (keep in mind, they don't have to register it to own it) and you knowing that the names are similiar go ahead and use the same or very similiar name, you could be liable for infringement, especially if the products you will be selling are comparable or along the same lines as what they are selling.

If you are still set on using the name, you may want to consider contacting the existing company to see if they would mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">