• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law about references?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MerriamW

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Several years ago, I voluntarily quit a job when I suspected that they were preparing to fire me. That department has since been obliterated, and the person who was supervising me was subsequently fired. Inclusion of this job on my resume hasn't been an issue before. I'm applying for another job and they want to talk to somebody at the old job. I don't know anyone there anymore, and I'm not confident that they would give me a good reference at all.

I heard a rumor that in Minnesota, employers are only allowed to say that a former employee worked there and the dates, but nothing negative...is that true? Should I risk the bad reference, or should I tell them that there's no one there with whom I work anymore? Any advice is appreciated.

:confused:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not true, in Minnesota or any other state. Despite a persistant rumor to the contrary, NO law ANYWHERE limits an employer to the information you suggest, and NO law ANYWHERE prohibits negative references.

The best thing you can do is tell them in advance that the reference you may get from the company in question may not be of the best, and why. You are better off risking a possible negative reference than you are supplying no reference at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">