• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stuck with deteriorated house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srpelt

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
6 yrs ago after a mobile home fire, my husband's parents bought us a house on an acre of land for $30,000.00. 4 yrs ago, as my father-in-laws health began to worsen, they donated the property to my 3 minor children. This was done so that in the event of me and my husband `divorcing, the children would always have a home. Well, we'll be divorced in 3 months. I was given possession of the house. The problem is that the house has deteriorated severely over the years. It's approx. 85yrs old. Electrical system is faulty. Breakers throw daily. Outlets and plug-ins become hot to touch and spark at times. Small appliances have shorted out. Septic tank drains out on side of yard. Have some lead pipes. No form of heat. I use my oven during the winter to heat the house because every time I try to use an electric heat, it crackles, becomes too hot, or sparks. I use one window a/c during summer because the breaker will throw if I try to use more. I have become very concerned about these problems. I am a single mother of 4 and have a limited income. I considered applying for rural development assistance to aid in repairing house or possibly rebuilding (as repairs will be excessive). The problem is the property being in the children's name. What rights legally do I have as far as repairing or building a new house on the land? What would I need to do to be able to fix this situation? I'm tired of living like this and my children being ashamed of the deteriorating outside condition of the house.
When I spoke with a home building representative, I was told I could not build on the land without the deed being in my name.

Last edited:

TiffanyK

The problem is the property being in the children's name. What rights legally do I have as far as repairing or building a new house on the land?
I'm not even remotely close to being educated on the law, by any means - but I think you should probably elaborate on the problem; i.e. what is preventing you, exactly, from making repairs as necessary?

As I might say in the computer realm - what exact error are you receiving? Or what are you afraid of with regard to repairing or building a new house?

What would I need to do to be able to fix this situation?
First, I think you need to explain more clearly what is broken about the situation (not with the house) and/or more clearly explain what the situation is exactly.

Tifafny

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">