• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Dilemma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SplashDesignz

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I am a small business owner with 1 full time employee and am looking to hire a part time employee. My dilemma is this - how do I find out if an employee is sensitive to the chemicals we use in our business? I do not want to place an employee at risk if they have sensitivity to chemicals. Also we keep a dog in our place of business and want to know if this would be a problem for a potential employee? I do not want to discriminate against someone however I also do not want to place myself or business at risk if the potential employee is allergic etc? I would appreciate any ideas?
Thank you,
Spalsh Designz

Sockeye

Perhaps set-up a physical evaluation that tests for senstivity to chemicals. You can offer employment under the condition that they pass the physical evaluation.

As far as the dog goes, as long as he doesn't bite I don't see the problem. Anyone that wouldn't want a dog around isn't worth hiring.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can also say during the interview, "This job requires working with x chemicals. Does that pose any problems for you?" It is then up to the employee to tell you if there are any known allergies or not.

Tell them up front about the dog. If they don't like working with a dog on the premises, they don't have to accept the job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, you need to ask the question exactly as I phrased it. You can't simplify by saying, "Do you have any allergies," or something on that order. The ADA limits what you can ask with regards to health issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">