• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For Sale: Ex-wife won't sign title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hcgc000

I own a piece of property in Oregon that I inherited. I went through the inheritance process etc. and had to take out a loan to pay off an existing partner. During that time I also put my ex-wife’s name on the title.

My ex-wife was there with me for about 5 years, but I caught her cheating on me and I filed for divorce. – I agreed to split the value of the property 50/50 once I sold, though I probably didn’t have to since it was considered separate property and not marital property because of the inheritance – but I just wanted it done with.

I have occupied and taken care of the property for the last 15 years, with my ex-wife only coming in and out every so often. – During my time living on and taking care of the property it has nearly quadrupled in value.

I am looking to sell the property now and am more than willing to give my ex-wife her share. However, she would not sign the title because she has no clue about the value and thinks the sale need to be for more money, so she can get more money. Now I can rarely get in touch with her and she is holding up a sale.

Is there any way to petition to get her off the title or have a court appoint a commissioner who is a neutral third party that will sign the title on her behalf? – Or can I act as a representative for the land and just sign off the title myself.

PghREA

hcgc000 said:
I own a piece of property in Oregon that I inherited. I went through the inheritance process etc. and had to take out a loan to pay off an existing partner. During that time I also put my ex-wife’s name on the title.

My ex-wife was there with me for about 5 years, but I caught her cheating on me and I filed for divorce. – I agreed to split the value of the property 50/50 once I sold, though I probably didn’t have to since it was considered separate property and not marital property because of the inheritance – but I just wanted it done with.

I have occupied and taken care of the property for the last 15 years, with my ex-wife only coming in and out every so often. – During my time living on and taking care of the property it has nearly quadrupled in value.

I am looking to sell the property now and am more than willing to give my ex-wife her share. However, she would not sign the title because she has no clue about the value and thinks the sale need to be for more money, so she can get more money. Now I can rarely get in touch with her and she is holding up a sale.

Is there any way to petition to get her off the title or have a court appoint a commissioner who is a neutral third party that will sign the title on her behalf? – Or can I act as a representative for the land and just sign off the title myself.
Since your ex-wife is on the title , she will need to sign the title in order for you to sell. Have her get an appraisal done so she will know what the market value of the home is. - Then she can plan for her 1/2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">