• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MR. Lucas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kooluke

What is the name of your state? CA
My wife is working in a shop with the owner of the business (alterations). They both take in their own clientele and keep spearate books each earning money for the work that they each do. They each pay half the rent and utilities - Are either of them required to carry worker's compensation insurance?

Thanks - Don

jity

No. Unless if they have so many employees. I thought it was like 5 or more, but I am guessing on the number not on the factor.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

kooluke said:
What is the name of your state? CA
My wife is working in a shop with the owner of the business (alterations). They both take in their own clientele and keep spearate books each earning money for the work that they each do. They each pay half the rent and utilities - Are either of them required to carry worker's compensation insurance?

Thanks - Don
In California, sole proprietors with no employees are not required to carry workman's comp insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">