• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage done by apartment workers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pull10k

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
I live in a high rise apt building. They just replaced the windows 8 weeks ago. During the work all my belongings were put to the side *as requested by them.

Upon return to my apartment and reorganizing my things I found my computer damaged. Apparently there was something heavy dropped on it. The case was "racked”, the front face popped off and the front of floppy drive was ripped off.

I immediately called head of maintenance and had him witness the damage. I then sent a letter (same day) stating damage etc. included photos.
Computer worked still.

Now it has been 50+ days and all I have received is a cc letter to the contractor saying "follow up" from 30 days ago.

Since then the computer has shorted out. Had it looked at, components are fried. Hard drive contents irretrievable. Short caused by case allowing components to ground out.

I sent another letter complaining of lack of response and detailing the further damage.

1 week, no reply.

What do I do? I checked the Yellow Pages but I can't find figure what kind of attorney to take this to.

BTW I also want the data recovered from the hard drive which runs between $1000 & $4000.

Thanks for any advice

djohnson

If you were told to move items to the side, was this computer still in the way? If it was to the side, how did it get damaged?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">