• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary recieved while not under contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfleonard

What is the name of your state? California

I work on a year to year (non-union) contract for a school district. When offered a new contract in June for the new fiscal year (which begins in July) I informed my boss that I would not sign my new contract untill I recieved a written evaluation from him. He agreed, but never produced the evaluation so I never signed my contract. The district continued paying me durring the summer (their new fiscal year) even though I was not under contract. Feeling undervalued, I applied for another position on August 26th at a different district and have been offered a contract (I have accepted verbally but not signed). However, my former employer claims I owe them two months salary, or what they paid me while I was not under contract!. It seems to me it was their mistake to pay me while not under contract, and I did have full intention of returning untill offered a better position. Have I broken any laws by cashing those 2 paychecks? What actions can my former district take against me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whose mistake it was is irrelevant. You received money you did not earn and it is your responsibilty to repay it.

pattytx

And what legal action can they take against you? They can bring suit in civil court. And they'll win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">