• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition for Award in Lieu of Homestead

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catldogSR

What is the name of your state? Washington

My husband recently passed and I have been going through his papers. His ex had a settlement that was garnished from his pension but the pension board now tells me that this is no longer valid as it was against him. In this state I receive the house as a joint tenant with suvivorship rights.

In the notes with his atty I see that he suggests that IF my husband should precede me that I file this petition to effectively keep the ex from satisfying the obligation when my husband dies, if he passes first.

Does this still need to be done -- seems her atty attached a lien against the property at the time of the judgement. I was told I need to get a Release on Lien on that too as the debt was his and not mine?

Advice?? I cannot afford an atty now and wonder if I should seek Legal Aid?
There is no probate as there was no life Ins past $1000.00 from some fund. Other then that all we had were bills as we owe more on the vehicle then the blue book value.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">