• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling vehicle - make sure ownership transfers over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DerbyGirl

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question – but it seemed to fit best.

I am selling a vehicle – will give the new owner a bill of sale & sign over the title to him, take off the plates & registration sticker.

I guess my question is – what would happen if the new owner didn’t “legally” put it on the road? Like switched plates or whatever, and never took the title to the DMV & switched it over?

I am asking because the kid mentioned he is buying it for a “field car” which says to me – he probably won’t put insurance on it & might not even register it. He said he just beats on them till they die. That, in it self is fine – I don’t care what he does to it.

My concern would be – what if someone got hurt or killed while they were off-roading with it & he never transferred the title to his name.

Could I be held liable?

I have a bill of sale drawn up – for both of us to sign – one copy for him – one copy for me stating that on “this date” ownership and possession transferred from “seller” to “buyer”. Is that enough for me to cover my butt?

Thanks in advance,

DG

JETX

DerbyGirl said:
I am selling a vehicle – will give the new owner a bill of sale & sign over the title to him, take off the plates & registration sticker.

I guess my question is – what would happen if the new owner didn’t “legally” put it on the road? Like switched plates or whatever, and never took the title to the DMV & switched it over?
Fill out one of the following (whichever is applicable) and send a copy to the NY DMV.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/dtf802_01.pdf
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv82.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">