• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal promise not kept

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RCG

What is the name of your state? NH

I interviewed w/ a company who stated during the interview I would be considered for a F/T position based on an evaluation I would receive after a 90-day probationary period. After seven months, despite several requests from me and assurances from them it would happen soon, it never materalized.

I found out later I was not the only employee who was given this line at interview time, only to discover the company never followed through.

When one of us challenged the executive director, she was told "did you get that in writing"? None of us ever received a written confirmation, so we felt betrayed.

What they did was unethical, but was it illegal? Do you think we have any recourse, or do we just have to swallow this bitter pill?

Thank you for any insights.
--Bob

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not illegal, and depending on the exact circumstances may not even be unethical. No, you have no recourse. You are not owed a full time position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">