• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Apartment Rental Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mquirke

My boyfriend and I live in FL, and he recently put down a deposit to transfer from one equity apartment facility to another. We were told everything was in check and all that we had to pay was this deposit to hold the apartment and we would be contacted shortly with a move in date. This was done on August 8th. After leaving numerous messages for these people without any return phone calls, we finally got a hold of them and found out that they had been bought by another management company and now we dont know if we can even move into the apartment, and if we cant, are we entitled to get our deposit back? HELP!!!!

mquirke

because we are transferring from one equity apartment facility to another, there was no rental agreement paperwork filled out as of yet, they told us that's what we would fill out once they gave us our move in date. we were supposed to give notice ASAP to our current place of residence, because the lease is up here in mid october, and we know the apt at the other place was avail oct 3 or 4th. we havent been able to anything. i just did some research and found out the other apartment complex was bought out by a company that plans to convert the unit to for sale condos.

HomeGuru

mquirke said:
because we are transferring from one equity apartment facility to another, there was no rental agreement paperwork filled out as of yet, they told us that's what we would fill out once they gave us our move in date. we were supposed to give notice ASAP to our current place of residence, because the lease is up here in mid october, and we know the apt at the other place was avail oct 3 or 4th. we havent been able to anything. i just did some research and found out the other apartment complex was bought out by a company that plans to convert the unit to for sale condos.

**A: so exactly what is your question?

mquirke

i guess my question is, whether or not we would be entitled to move in. i did some research and found out that the apartment complex was sold and the deal was going on when we went in and placed the deposit on the apartment. So they knew they were going to be selling their complex to a development corporation that had plans to convert the apartments to condos. Since they knew, wouldnt we still be entitled to move in?

HomeGuru

mquirke said:
i guess my question is, whether or not we would be entitled to move in. i did some research and found out that the apartment complex was sold and the deal was going on when we went in and placed the deposit on the apartment. So they knew they were going to be selling their complex to a development corporation that had plans to convert the apartments to condos. Since they knew, wouldnt we still be entitled to move in?

**A: no since you did not sign a contract, put down a security deposit and the L did not verbally agree to rent the property to you. All you put down was a deposit to "hold" the unit. Holding a unit does not automatically create a L/T relationship.

mquirke

since we were transferring from one equity apartment facility to another equity apartment facility, we did not need to go through the whole application procedure, that was the advantage of the transfer, (no credit check, no app fee, no security deposit or anything) and we were told by the officials at the new complex that all we had to do was pay the deposit to hold the apartment and we did not have to do anything else until the day we moved in, which was pay the amount of prorated rent for the month of october since the new apt was avail october 3 or 4th and they needed a few days to clean it and do the new carpet. they said they would contact us well before 9/1 with an exact move in date so we could give our current place of residence ample time because they (current place of residence) have an extensive waiting list of people that need 2-bedrooms. Now, I cant even get a hold of anyone at the new place, I left them 4 messages over the weekend and no one will call me back.

HomeGuru

mquirke said:
since we were transferring from one equity apartment facility to another equity apartment facility, we did not need to go through the whole application procedure, that was the advantage of the transfer, (no credit check, no app fee, no security deposit or anything) and we were told by the officials at the new complex that all we had to do was pay the deposit to hold the apartment and we did not have to do anything else until the day we moved in, which was pay the amount of prorated rent for the month of october since the new apt was avail october 3 or 4th and they needed a few days to clean it and do the new carpet. they said they would contact us well before 9/1 with an exact move in date so we could give our current place of residence ample time because they (current place of residence) have an extensive waiting list of people that need 2-bedrooms.

**A: Ok, based on your post and if you can prove the events that transpired, there was at least a m/m L/T relationship created.

Now, I cant even get a hold of anyone at the new place, I left them 4 messages over the weekend and no one will call me back.
**A: that's because their office is closed for the weekend and holiday. Drive over there to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">