• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Architectural Review "Committee"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Surveyor

I am from North Carolina

We recently purchased a house that was built in 2002. About a week after we moved into our house, the developer of the subdivision came by the house and informed us that our front porch railings were not approved by the "Architectural Review Committee". Since then we have learned that the Architectural Review Committee is only him. He said that he told the selling agent that there was an issue with the railings. We were never informed of this. The previous owners wouldn't change them. Anyway, he said that we had to change them out to wrought iron. They are the cheap aluminum that look like wrought iron, we don't like them either but.... Anyway, now we want to build a swing set with a 4x6 play house on top with a slide. We were told verbally this was ok. Now he wants says that we are to fix the railings first(post like house #5455 and wrought iron railings) And vinyl will not "look right" (The House is vinyl sided!!??!!) Every house in the neighborhood has different types of railings. And then we can clear out some of the woods behind the house (poison ivy and ticks) and put it there. Plenty of room in the back yard??!! So, I talked to the closing atty and he said that he had no jurisdiction in either and to build on. We sent him a letter and started to build. He left a note in the mailbox that he would see me in court. After talking with many of the neighbors, they have all had run-ins with him. Does he have any say in the railings and is a swingset considered accessory structure? Can I just shoot him and be done with it?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Surveyor said:
I am from North Carolina

We recently purchased a house that was built in 2002. About a week after we moved into our house, the developer of the subdivision came by the house and informed us that our front porch railings were not approved by the "Architectural Review Committee". Since then we have learned that the Architectural Review Committee is only him. He said that he told the selling agent that there was an issue with the railings. We were never informed of this. The previous owners wouldn't change them. Anyway, he said that we had to change them out to wrought iron. They are the cheap aluminum that look like wrought iron, we don't like them either but.... Anyway, now we want to build a swing set with a 4x6 play house on top with a slide. We were told verbally this was ok. Now he wants says that we are to fix the railings first(post like house #5455 and wrought iron railings) And vinyl will not "look right" (The House is vinyl sided!!??!!) Every house in the neighborhood has different types of railings. And then we can clear out some of the woods behind the house (poison ivy and ticks) and put it there. Plenty of room in the back yard??!! So, I talked to the closing atty and he said that he had no jurisdiction in either and to build on. We sent him a letter and started to build. He left a note in the mailbox that he would see me in court. After talking with many of the neighbors, they have all had run-ins with him. Does he have any say in the railings and is a swingset considered accessory structure?

**A: yes and I don't know.
Can I just shoot him and be done with it?
**A: does he have large tail feathers and gobbles?

Shel77

If he is the developer and still is acting as the ARC he has every right to tell you what you can and can not do you need to read your CC&R's and find out what needs approving by the ARC.

HomeGuru

Shel77 said:
If he is the developer and still is acting as the ARC he has every right to tell you what you can and can not do you need to read your CC&R's and find out what needs approving by the ARC.

**A: that's right...................

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">