• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Not Willing To Give My Paycheck; PLEASE HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachelhusty

MISSOURI- I recently quit a job, and when i went in to recieve my last weeks pay i was declined. They said the reason was that my register had came up short, i had counted down my register and they were exact, the money had came up missing after i had placed it in the safe. They are also trying to hold my accountable for a drive off in which the suspect didnt even enter the store... Is there any way i can place a lawsuit on them? If so what would it be called that they are doing illegal! We all know that if they arent breaking the law somehow they are just down nasty people. Please help, im desperate!!
Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Tuesday morning pick up the phone; call the MO DOL, and file a complaint for unpaid wages.

That's all you need to do.

JETX

rachelhusty said:
MISSOURI- I recently quit a job, and when i went in to recieve my last weeks pay i was declined. They said the reason was that my register had came up short, i had counted down my register and they were exact, the money had came up missing after i had placed it in the safe. They are also trying to hold my accountable for a drive off in which the suspect didnt even enter the store... Is there any way i can place a lawsuit on them? If so what would it be called that they are doing illegal! We all know that if they arent breaking the law somehow they are just down nasty people.
The following is from a Missouri Employment attorney website:
OFFSETS: If you owe the employer money, the law generally permits him to withhold your wages in payment of amounts due. The usual dispute I see involves an employer who claims the employee owes him money, such as for damage to a vehicle, or to pay back a cash register shortage. But there is no documentation that the employee ever agreed to assume the liability for such "debts" in the first place, and so the employee feels cheated when the employer begins taking money out of his check. The employee is being cheated, in my opinion, unless the employee expressly agreed, in advance, to be responsible to pay back such expenses. Unfortunately, Missouri law does not discourage employers from engaging in this kind of conduct. But if you legitimately owe the employer a debt, the law permits collection through withholding of your wages, including withholding of your final wages.
Source: http://www.timslaw.com/wage-problems.htm

As for the unpaid wages, the following is from a Missouri employment attorney website:

In Missouri, the employer is required to pay the entire amount of your final wages at the moment he fires you or lays you off. RSMo 290.110. If he does not do that, you can make a written request for the balance of your final wages. Upon you making a written request, the employer has seven (7) days to pay you the balance or else a penalty kicks in. The penalty is that your wages continue as if you had never been fired, to a maximum of 60 days. You will have to go to court to collect the penalty. You cannot get attorney fees or other damages.
Source: http://www.timslaw.com/unpaidfinalwages.htm

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Interesting. Most states don't permit this; I'm rather surprised that Missouri does. Thanks for the info.

However, since there appears to be some question about the legitimacy of the debt, my suggestion to call the state DOL still stands.

I'd write the letter requesting the unpaid wages, if you have not already done so, as quickly as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">