• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buffalomike

What is the name of your state?Ny

I was working for a company for about a month, It was not a union job or anything, But is there anything that I could do if the company was given notice about any court dates I had in advance to the court dates and they let me go and said it was because of my attendence in the probationary period, is this legal or Not, I do have court papers proving I had court and they still let me go and I even told them all from the 2nd week of work when I recieved the court papers till the time of court I kept reminding everyone.

pojo2

Barring certain discrimination acts they can let you go because your eyes are brown and not blue!

BelizeBreeze

buffalomike said:

I was working for a company for about a month, It was not a union job or anything, But is there anything that I could do if the company was given notice about any court dates I had in advance to the court dates and they let me go and said it was because of my attendence in the probationary period, is this legal or Not, I do have court papers proving I had court and they still let me go and I even told them all from the 2nd week of work when I recieved the court papers till the time of court I kept reminding everyone.
A court date is not protected under the U.S. Constitution. You do NOT have a right to a job. The company could and did fire you for not showing up and there's nothing you can do except find another job.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

buffalomike said:

My response:

The company hired an employee because they needed an employee. Apparently, they had something else in mind when you were hired - - like work.

They didn't hire you so that you could be elsewhere.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is perfectly legal. With the sole exception of jury duty they have no legal obligation to excuse you for court dates, regardless of how far in advance they knew about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">